Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, December 29, 2008

Twilight

Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer
544 pages



Since everyone and their mother seems to have read this book already I'm not going to write a full "review". Plus I need to write and post several other reviews before Wednesday so that's another reason to keep this short. I think a bulleted list will suffice ...
  • I'm not a fan of Young Adult books in general (not when I was younger, and not now) and this book didn't really change my opinion. The writing isn't great but it IS a page turner.
  • Am I addicted? YES!
  • Do I totally love Edward? YES!
  • I'd already seen (and reviewed) the movie so there wasn't much suspense for me.
  • Speaking of the movie, I liked Jasper MUCH better in the book. And Rosalie should have been much prettier in the movie ... although they did get her attitude right.

  • Midnight Sun was MUCH better than this book. Edward's storytelling is far preferable to Bella's. If I had read Twilight before seeing the movie and reading Midnight Sun, I might not have continued reading this series.

  • I don't see why everyone complains about Bella all that much ... she's really not that bad (so far into the series, at least).

  • In reference to the point above: HOWEVER ... at the end of the book I read the teaser for book two and wanted to smack Bella.
I know tons of people have reviewed this book. Feel free to post a link to yours in the comments, but I'm not going to add the links to the post itself - I'm sure the list would be longer than my actual post. :) But there IS one I want to link to, simply because it made me laugh out loud and because it sheds a "different" light on this book. But be warned, this reviewer is NOT a fan ...

6 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I think your chosen format for this one works very well.

It sounds like we had similar views about this one, although I can't say I love Edward quite so much as you. ;-)

It wasn't until I got to New Moon that I suddenly understood what people meant about Bella. I didn't think she was all that bad in Twilight either. I am glad to know it wasn't just a case of me missing something as I raced through the book.

Anonymous said...

I was Team Jacob all the way.

Book 2 was my favorite...

Anonymous said...

Also, this is about the movie and not the book, but it is HYSTERICAL: http://www.cracked.com/article_16878_if-twilight-was-10-time-shorter-100-times-more-honest.html

Jules said...

I've been thinking of jumping on the Twilight Band waggon. I'm going to give it a chance, but from what I've heard, I don't think I'll like it. It sounds very teen angst and romancey for me. But hey, who knows? The bookstores are all sold out of the paper backs, and the good ol' TPL (my library system, of 99 branches, with over 400 copies of the book) has a 2000+ hold list. But, the book is on my challenge list for the year, so we'll see.

Katie said...

I put off reading this for a looong time because I thought it sounded lame. I totally got hooked, and read them all in about a week. They bring out my inner 13 year old girl or something...

Sarah said...

For a long time I was resisting reading these books... but now I think I have to! Some many people whose book reviews I respect have said they are addicting. But now the problem is where to get ahold of a copy - I don't usually buy new books, and the library line is a mile long!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin