Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, December 21, 2009

TBR 2010 Challenge

This is a challenge that makes perfect sense for every blogger out there; the goal is to actually read 12 books from your TBR list!


The rules, according to MizB's Reading Challenges, are:
** Pick 12 books – one for each month of the year - that you’ve been wanting to read (that have been on your “To Be Read” list) for 6 months or longer, but haven’t gotten around to.

** OPTIONAL: Create a list of 12 “Alternates” (books you could substitute for your challenge books, given that a particular one doesn’t grab you at the time)

** Then, starting January 1, read one of these books from your list each month, ending December 31. )

(for more information, please read the challenge FAQs)

By the end of the year you should’ve knocked 12 books off of your TBR list! (of course, if you’re anything like me, you’ll have added *at LEAST* 12 more to the ever-growing pile by then! LOL).

The good news is, though, that you’ll be making some progress! ;o)

Additional rules/guidelines for this challenge:

* the challenge is to read 12 TBR books in 12 months — you can read those all in one month if you want, or one a month, or however you wanna do it.
* you should have a list posted somewhere for others to see
* you CANNOT change your list after January 1st, of the current year!!!
* you can create an Alternates list of MAXIMUM 12 books, if you want, in order to have options to choose from (you can read these in place of books on your original list).
* audiobooks and e-books ARE allowed
* re-reads are NOT allowed, as they aren’t TRUE “TBRs”
* you CAN overlap with other challenges
* OPTIONAL: you can join the Yahoo! Group created for participants of the TBR Challenge, if you want to have a place to keep your list, or just to share with others about how you’re doing!
I can't decide on 12 books so I'm just combining my original picks and my alternates into one big list. And in my case, these are all books that I already possess. I'll read at least 12 from this list in 2010.
  1. A History of Celibacy, by Elizabeth Abbott
  2. Mistress of the Vatican, by Eleanor Herman
  3. A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson
  4. Ireland: A Novel, by Frank Delany
  5. The Toss of a Lemon, by Padma Viswanathan
  6. Vivaldi's Virgins, by Barbara Quick
  7. The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections, by Tom Brokaw
  8. The Book Lovers Cookbook, by Shaunda Kennedy Wenger
  9. Old Man's War, by John Scalzi
  10. Consumption, by Kevin Patterson
  11. The Last Gentleman Adventurer: Coming of Age in the Arctic, by Edward Beauclerk Maurice
  12. Time Bandit, by the Hillstrand Brothers
  13. Steve & Me, by Terri Irwin
  14. Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett
  15. Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival, by Norman Ollestad
  16. The Last Town on Earth, by Thomas Mullen
  17. Silver, by Edward Chupak
  18. The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
  19. The Cruelest Miles: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic, by Gay Salisbury & Laney Salisbury
  20. Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum, by Richard Fortey
  21. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
  22. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
  23. Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific by Raft, by Thor Heyerdahl
  24. When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra, by Colin Falconer

Are you up for this challenge?!

10 comments:

Alyce said...

I was glancing through your list and saw the Tom Brokaw book. I've been meaning to read that for the longest time, but hadn't added it to my list yet. I'll have to remedy that.

I got a chance to read some of my grandpa's WWII letters to his brother for the first time yesterday while at my mom's house, and it really put me in the mood to read more WWII letters and journals.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - Thanks!

Alyce - Ooh, I'm so jealous! My Gram burned all the letters my Grandpa sent her during the war after my mom (as a teenager) found and read some of them. Gram was so embarrassed about the whole thing b/c the letters were so romantic. Now she wishes she still had them, and so does the rest of the family. :(

Michelle said...

You just reminded me I have to make my list!

Good luck :)

Suey said...

I AM up for it! Yes, I am... but finding time to make my list... that seems to be the problem at the moment. Soon, though. Very soon.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I am joining this one as well as of right now. I have to get shaking on my list!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Michelle, Suey, & Nicole - Yes, you three had BETTER get on it, there's just a few more days before 2010! LOL

Literary Feline said...

You've selected a great set of books to read for this challenge, Heather! Good luck with the challenge!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Literary Feline - Thanks! This is one challenge that I'm REALLY looking forward to!

Tam said...

I'm in this challenge too, and The Historian is also on my list.

Good luck with your reading and Happy New Year.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Tam - Good luck & happy new year to you as well! I'm really looking forward to THE HISTORIAN this year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin