Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mind Voyages Challenge



I mentioned in a recent review that I plan to read more Fantasy & SciFi books in the coming months, so this challenge is perfect for me.

The details, according to My Two Blessings, are as follows:

Choose a Voyage

Moon Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo Winners List

Sling shot back to Earth: Read at least 3 winners on the Nebula Winner's List

Venus Voyage: Philip K. Dick Quest - Read at least 2 of his books

Mercury Voyage: Robert Heinlein Quest - Read at least 2 of his books

Mars Voyage: Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo List and take a side trip through the 21st century and read at least 4 nominees.

Go into Warp Drive and visit the other planets ...

Jupiter Voyage: Go side tripping 90's Style

Saturn: Go Side Tripping 80's Style

Uranus: Go Side Tripping 70's Style

Neptune Voyage: Go Side Tripping through the 50's and 60's

The I'm going to Pluto because Pluto is still a planet as far as I'm concerned Voyage: Mix it up, choose the number of books you want to read from each voyage, include some new books you pick up along the way and enjoy the ride.

The Rules are simple:
  1. The challenge will run from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010.
  2. Participants may join at any time.
  3. All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.
  4. Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2010.
  5. Books may overlap other challenges.
  6. Create an entry post linking to this blog.
  7. You don't have to decide before hand what you will be reading.
  8. Come back and sign up with Mr. Linky in the "I'm participating post".
  9. You don't have a blog to participate.
  10. I'll be adding a post with Mr. Linky for participants to post book reviews.

I'm going for the Pluto Voyage because it gives me the most flexibility, especially regarding SciFi/Fantasy books that are not award winners. I'm committing to read 12 books but I'm not deciding now what they are. Some titles I'm considering include:
  • Dune - this would be a re-read
  • The Left Hand of Darkness
  • Ender's Game
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • American Gods
  • Little Brother
This challenge will be lots of fun - I hope some of you are planning to join in as well!

5 comments:

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

Oh, please, please read Ender's Game. I read this book for a class in grad school (for school librarianship) and I would have never picked it up otherwise. How glad I am that I did! Card is a wonderful author.

bermudaonion said...

Have fun with this challenge!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

A Bookshelf Monstrosity - I already love Card's Homecoming series (have you read it?!) so Ender's Game is high on my list. I'm SURE I'll read it for this challenge. Thanks for the recommendation!

bermudaonion - Thanks, I will!

Robin M said...

Yeah Heather! I'm so glad you are joining in. I'll be reading Dune as well since it part of your dare challenge. It will be the first book I read in 2010. just have to buy a copy with bigger letters. At this point I want to read all the books on your list as well. I'll have to pace myself. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the books.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Robin - This challenge was a great idea! I'm still not sure about rereading DUNE, but I might. If you can read THE EYE OF THE WORLD by Feb. 9, you can join in the call-in portion of the That's How I Blog show - that's the book we'll be discussing. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin