Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Finds 10/10/08


Welcome to this week's edition of Friday Finds! Here are the titles that made it to my TBR list this week ...
  1. Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Ryhs - how did I never realize before that this is the prequel to Jane Eyre?!

  2. The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry - any book that's set in Ireland during the civil war immediately goes on my list

  3. My Lady of Cleves: A Novel of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves by Margaret Campbell - this wife of Henvy VIII fascinates me almost as much as Katherine - this reviewer had good things to say about this version of her life

  4. The Castle of Otranto: A Gothic Story by Horace Walpole - although I don't read many Gothic books I keep saying that I'm going to, and this one certainly fits the bill - plus I trust this reviewer's opinion and she says it's good

  5. a trilogy by Sharon Kay Penman: When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance (Ballantine Reader's Circle), and Devil's Brood - this series follows the lives of King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquataine, two people I find very fascinating - plus, according to ancestry.com my husband is related to them through their creepy son, John

  6. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne duMaurier - I want to read Rebecca by this same author, and this reviewer has good things to say about this book

And here's what I discovered for kiddo ...
  1. The Ark, the Reed, and the Fire Cloud by Jenny L. Cote
    This came to me from the publisher and we've started reading it already. It's the story of Noah's Ark told from the point of view of the animals. It's a big book - 450 pages - but kiddo is really interested so far.

  2. The Bat-Poet by Randall Jarrell

    ok, ok, mabye this one is really for me ... I have a fascination with bats, but I DO think kiddo will like this one - he DOES like Stellaluna after all


  3. How Many Ways Can You Catch a Fly? by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page
    it's a look at the different ways animals are adapted to perform the same functions, such as getting food
That's what I found this week! Post a comment with some of YOUR new titles if you want, and click here to check other Friday Finds.

9 comments:

momofonefornow said...

I just added the Wide Sargasso Sea to my TBR list a month ago. I am a Jane Eyre freak and I had no idea this book even existed.

Literary Feline said...

I would like to read both Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel by Daphne duMaurier too. The Castle of Otranto sounds good too!

Anonymous said...

I plan to re-read Rebecca next week. I wish to read My ousin Rahel too.

I like your interesting finds!

Here are my friday finds!

Ti said...

I LOVED Rebecca. The movie is great too.

avisannschild said...

I'm not sure I'd call Wide Sargasso Sea a prequel to Jane Eyre since their timelines overlap. It's more like a retelling of the story from the point of view of the first Mrs. Rochester. To read my review, click here.

Ana S. said...

I hope you enjoy Otranto! I want to read The Bad Poet and My Cousin Rachel too.

I agree with avisannschild that Wide Sargasso Sea is more a retelling. I loved it, but it's a very bleak book. I read it long before Jane Eyre, and strange as it may sound I think that made it easier for me to appreciate it. Because after you become attached to Jane Eyre, it's hard to see the characters portrayed in such a different way.

Sarah said...

Wide Sargasso Sea is a great book, definitely read it! I think its better to approach it separately from Jane Eyre, however. The writing is absolutely gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Like Ti, I loved the novel and the movie *Rebecca*. I didn't know about *My Cousin Rachel* ... I'll look for your review!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have to agree with a couple previous posters about Wide Sargasso Sea, it's not really a prequel, more of a re-imagining or a different perspective on the events in Jane Eyre. The book is awesome, and it's fun to compare them, but they should be looked at sort of separately, if that makes any sense.

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin