Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Finds 10/31/08


Did you find any good books this week? I certainly did ...
  1. Champlain's Dream, by David Hackett Fischer - found in the Simon & Schuster newsletter - the true story of Samuel de Champlain, "spy, master mariner, explorer, cartographer, artist, and Father of New France" - one of the main explorers of Canada and the northern United States - read more about it here because I'm not making it sound nearly as exciting as it is!

  2. I Walked the Line, by Vivian Cash - also in the Simon & Schuster newsletter - the story of Johnny Cash's life with his first wife, Vivian - I originally didn't want to read this because I thought it would be an angry woman slamming her famous ex, but then I found out that Johnny encouraged her to write it before his death, so I'm willing to try it out - I'm a HUGE fan of Johnny's music

  3. Receive Me Falling, by Erika Robuck - I met Erika on Monday night and she told me about her completed-but-as-yet-unpublished historical fiction novel (if you click on the title you can read a summary of it on her website) - her format incorporates a variety of different sources, reminding me of The 19th Wife in that way - I can't wait to read this book!
Please share your finds in the comments, or click here to join in the fun.

Happy Halloween to all! I can't help posting a photos for the season ...

For those who aren't familiar with all the new Star Wars characters, kiddo is Jedi Master Plo Koon (and hubby is just hubby).

And this is my very favorite photo from our pumpkin patch visit in early October.

6 comments:

Shana said...

Heather, Receive Me Falling sounds so good!

Love the photos. Are your kids totally excited for tonight?

Shana
Literarily

Anonymous said...

I Walked The Line is totally different from the movie Walk The Line. It's interesting to read a different perspective.

Beth F said...

I Walked the Line sounds like a good one. There are way too many books out there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations! That third one sounds particularly interesting. :)

Seriously, I love a good biography. Can't wait to pick up I Walked the Line.

avisannschild said...

I agree with Shana, Receive Me Falling sounds good! From your writeup I wasn't sure it was getting published, so I'm glad to see on her site that it's due out in 2009.

Happy Halloween!

gautami tripathy said...

All three look good to me!

My Friday finds!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin