Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, December 31, 2009

December '09 Recap


Aah, the end of another year ... how the time does fly. It will be REALLY hard trying to write 2010 rather than 2009 (and dare I admit that I actually wrote 2007 on a check the other day?!)

I recapped my reading year back in November when I celebrated my birthday so you won't see any huge year-end recaps here this month. Instead I've got my regular monthly recap ... and I must say, I'm rather pleased with it this month.


Books - 8 (2,025 pages)

Audio Books - 1
(15 hours)
  • Affinity by Sarah Waters - 15 hours - VERY atmospheric, a great gothic novel

Other Stats
  • Kiddo & I did a Mom & Son Book Club post about A Christmas Carol. Now we're back to reading The Titan's Curse, book 3 in the Percy Jackson series; we'd put it aside for Christmas but now we're ready to continue.
  • I wrote about two book & movie combinations: Moll Flanders and Julie & Julia.
  • My TBR list gained 5 titles this month and Kiddo's gained 1. (But that isn't really an accurate statistic. I count books as added to the TBR only after I post about them on Friday Finds ... and considering that I have 10 more books to post about, well, you see what I mean.)
  • I'm currently listening to an audio of Isak Dineson's biography; she's the author of Out of Africa. I've got the movie (which I LOVE) and the book checked out from the library and I'm only waiting to finish the biography before diving into both of them.
  • I've got a great reading plan for 2010 and I'm really hoping to stick to it. I've left myself plenty of room for flexibility (I hope!) so I'm optimistic that I'll meet my goals for the year. At least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

2009 is almost gone, 2010 is just about here ... wow, that was certainly fast. I wish all of you a wonderful time celebrating tonight, and a safe and happy 2010!

12 comments:

Becky said...

Happy New Year!

Margot said...

I like the monthly format. I'd like to do something similar so by the end of 2010 it's not so hard to figure out what I've read.

Hope you have a good time ringing in the new year.

Literary Feline said...

The plan is to get to Cleopatra's Daughter this next year. Fingers crossed! I am glad you enjoyed it. The Little Stranger is another one I hope to get to.

Sounds like you had a good month, Heather. I loved your Mom & Son Book Club post. :-)

Have a Happy New Year!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Becky - To you as well!

Margot - The monthly recapping is a HUGE blessing when it comes time to do annual tallies - you should definitely give it a try. Happy New Year to you as well!

Literary Feline - Both of those are great books - definitely make time to read them asap! I'm glad you enjoyed the M&S post; Kiddo and I have lots of fun doing them together. Happy New Year!

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I wrote 2008 on a check last month too. It will be hard to lose that zero in the 10s place! By the way, I picked up "Turn of the Screw" at the library, since you told me I have to read it.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably I've never seen Out of Africa. I know, strange.

Anyway, happy New Year, Heather J.

Unfinished Person
also known as Unfinished Rambler
Just A (Reading) Fool, etc.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Heather!

Alyce said...

Great job with your reading in December!

I thought I had a great reading plan for this year and then realized that I forgot to add in books from perpetual challenges. It should make things interesting, but I'm not going to pressure myself - it's all supposed to be fun anyway. :)

Beth F said...

You had a great month -- here's to a great 2010.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jen - I hope you like it - it is definitely a creepy (but not scary) story. And I can see us including it in our discussion of The Little Stranger.

justareadingfool - I LOVE that movie! Can't believe you've never seen it. Happy new year to you as well.

softdrink - Hope you had a fizzy new year!

Alyce - Exactly - if it isn't fun, then what is the purpose?

Beth F - Happy New Year!

Rebecca Reid said...

Happy New Year!

Sounds like a great month. I'm rather intrigued by Sarah Waters. Her name keeps coming up everywhere.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca - You might really enjoy Waters even though you don't read much contemporary stuff. Her writing feels very Gothic to me and definitely not modern at all.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin