Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Finds 12/04/09


Here are the books I've added to the TBR list this week ...

  1. The Return of the Soldier, by Rebecca West - This book is about a 'shell shocked' soldier whose returns home during The Great War without much of his memories. The women in his life have no idea what has happened, and he is unable to re-enter British mainstream society. Letters from a Hill Farm says this book is "is beautifully written and gives the reader a lot to think about."


  2. The Road Home, by Ellen Emerson White - The Book Smugglers were captivated by this YA tale of nurse returning home from the war in Vietnam.









  3. Read On ... Life Stories, by Rosalind Rienser - Reading Group Guides says this book offers "brief descriptions of nearly 450 memoirs from classics ... to recent bestsellers." I love books like this that expose me to a wide variety of additional books.







  4. The Inklings of Oxford, by Harry Lee Poe - This is a pictorial guide to the Oxford of Tolkien and Lewis, designed for people who may want to visit there one day. 5 Minutes for Books made it sound like a must-read.







  5. People of the Thunder, by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O’Neal Gear - This story is set in 1300AD in what would become America. "A novel of desperate political intrigue and spiritual power, [this book] demonstrates the Gears' mastery of American prehistory." I heard about this from Tor/Forge and pulled the summary from the publisher. It sounds really intriguing and very different than anything I've read recently.




Kiddo's one TBR addition ...

  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom, by Eric Wight - Booking Mama's review did me in. This book looks hilarious AND it might be just the thing to get Kiddo, my ever-reluctant reader, to pick up a book!






Visit Should Be Reading for more Friday Finds and have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Steph said...

All these look excellent -- I am particularly intrigued by the first one.

bermudaonion said...

Frankie Pickle is adorable! I wish I had someone to share him with.

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I think that all of the Read On series sounds so excellent. Unfortunately, neither of the libraries in the area carry the titles, which I find very surprising. I might just have to get them for myself.

Alayne said...

The Inklings of Oxford looks amazing! I've wanted to visit it ever since I read the His Dark Materials series, Lyra always had so much fun running around. Thanks for posting it!
Alayne
The Crowded Leaf

Robin M said...

What interesting books. I haven't read a w.michael gear in ages. Will have to revisit him.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I had not heard about any of these books and I love when that happens because I love seeing new books.

gautami tripathy said...

Great finds. I will check out the West book.

Friday Find: Atlas: Poems by Katrina Vandenberg

Blog Widget by LinkWithin