Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mom & Son Book Club #16: The Battle of the Labyrinth

My reviews this week will be REALLY short as I work furiously to get caught up on everything I’ve read and listened to recently …

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Book 4
by Rick Riordan
384 pages

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4)Kiddo and I have been working on this book for months, reading just a few chapters each week. We both really enjoyed the continuing saga of Percy Jackson and his friends. I love how Riordan includes the Greek myths that I grew up loving and yet presents them in an entirely new way. But it is the fact that Kiddo is so into this series that makes me enjoy it as much as I do.

For me, the best part about this book was the character development. Up until now most of the characters have been pretty static but in this installment several of them change in rather significant ways. My favorite character is Nico, a boy that I didn’t like at all in the previous books. He began as a seemingly minor character but he’s now a major part of the story and I love that.

Normally I'd have Kiddo chime in here with his impressions for our Mom & Son Book Club but he's away at camp right now so you'll have to take my word for it that he really like this book.

Kiddo is really excited to get to the last book in the series but I think we’re going to take a break from Percy while so we can read some other books while we’re on vacation …

...

PS. As a side note, my mood really affects my reading ability. I read the last few chapters of this book to Kiddo late one night while I was dealing with my normal monthly mood swings (oh how I love PMS … not). We were at a part where there was a battle and several characters do some heroic things. I had to keep stopping my reading to take deep breaths so that I wouldn’t cry. I covered it up by coughing quite often. :) Yeah, I can see me trying to explain to Kiddo why a heroic battle scene is making Mama cry … ~LOL~

12 comments:

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

That is too funny. Sometimes I seem to cry a little more easily than at other while reading. I've never tried to explain to my cats.

Anonymous said...

Heather, you are going to be so glad that you and Kiddo shared this series together. Looking back on it will be a wonderful memory. And I loved the part about your tears at the heroic battle!

bermudaonion said...

My son enjoyed the first book in this series - I really need to give it a try.

Amanda said...

I didn't like the 2nd and 3rd books in the series as much, and I remember this being the turnaround book, particularly in the second half.

Trisha said...

I really enjoyed this book too! And heroic battle scenes are very emotional, so no worries over the tears. :)

Ryan said...

I'm glad you guys are liking these books. I read them with Aidan awhile back and he loved them. He still wants us to read them every once in a while.

April (BooksandWine) said...

Oh, I definitely cry during stupid stuff in books ALL THE TIME. I blame it on hormones.

Also, that picture of kiddo is adorable.

Also, this makes me feel like I need to finish the Percy Jackson series.

Andi said...

LOL, I can see me doing this with Greyson when he gets older. Even the coughing-through-tears thing. :)

Dave said...

I've heard great things about the these books, and wish my kids weren't so old. I recall having a huge picture book about Greek mythology as a kid, and it would be interesting to see Riordan's version. Now that both of my kids are grown and out of college, I may have to pick up the books myself -- or babysit Kiddo.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Nicole - For some reason I don't think your cats care if you cry ... ~LOL~

Kay - Thanks, I'm really enjoying the reading-with-Kiddo experience as a whole.

bermudaonion - They are fun to read, but just don't expect Harry Potter-esque stories.

Amanda - Ooh, that means the last book should be even better - yay!

Trisha - The same thing happened to me in other books I've read - I think battles are my pitfall, oddly enough ...

Ryan - Yeah, I think our boys are the perfect age for these books.

April - I can't wait to get to the final book myself. :)

Andi - Oh yeah, it will happen!

Dave - The books are definitely geared to a younger audience but if you keep that in mind I think you'll enjoy them.

Beth F said...

How wonderful that you have a series that you both really like. I like your coughing ploy!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Beth F - It is so much fun to read this together!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin