Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
audiobook: 4.7 hours
narrated by David Timson

*** About the Book ***

This is part one (of two) of the final Sherlock Holmes stories written by the author. It contains six different cases.

*** Why I Read It ***

I needed an audiobook that was readily downloadable from the library onto my phone, and this was one of the few I could get immediately. Plus I love Holmes!

*** My Thoughts ***

I must admit that I was rather disappointed with these stories. They didn’t seem as interesting or as well put-together as others I’ve read or listened to previously. There was also more of a tendency toward the supernatural, or at least toward the “not natural” that didn’t work for me.

On the other hand, Holmes stories are never ALL bad, and there were a few cases that I quite enjoyed.

(I realize this review is VERY brief, but I listened to this before BEA and don’t remember much of it now.)


Allie said...

I haven't gotten to these ones yet, but I have heard that the first three books of Holmes stories (what I just finished) where his best and he lost it after The Hound of the Baskervilles. Perhaps it is just because Doyle was sick of writing about Holmes?

Heather J. said...

Allie - HOUND is one of my very favorite stories - I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it (eventually)! This is the first time I've been really disappointed with Holmes stories, but I'm definitely not turned off for good. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin