For this week's Show & Tell with Mel I'm showing off my favorite book-swapping site, PaperbackSwap. This is a fantastic site for everyone - fanatical readers (like me) or casual readers (like most of the rest of the world).
Here's what I love about it:
- I can get rid of books I don't want. This is great, because I don't keep most books once I've read them but sometimes I overdo it with too many books from the library that I can't read before they're due back. Plus it keeps the clutter in my house to a minimum (at least, the book clutter is at a minimum!).
- I can choose to keep a book forever or repost it once I've read it. The library frowns on keeping books, or so I've heard. :)
- Even though it's called PaperbackSwap you can also trade hardcover books and audio books. Plus there are two sister-sites for swapping DVDs and CDs.
- I find out about books I would otherwise never have heard of. I signed up for the optional daily email showing all books posted in the past 24 hours - you'd never believe the fabulous books I found that way. Here are links to a few of my favorites - here, here, here, here, and here.
- Everything works on a simple points basis. Each book is worth 1 point and each audio book is worth 2 points. Other sites have different point values for different types of books, but this way is simple and makes it fast and easy to get new-to-you books.
- And finally, I love their website. It easy to use and fun to browse.
And be sure to drop by Mel's site to find out what everyone else is showing and telling this week.