Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday Finds 04/17/09

Welcome to this week's Friday Finds!

Before I tell you about the books that jumped onto my TBR list this week I have to talk (quickly) about the Indies Choice Award Winners. Here's a list of the books that won this year. Best picture book went to Bats in the Library, by Brian Lies. This is an EXCELLENT book! I read it to Kiddo a while back and we both really enjoyed it. It helped that Kiddo and I both love bats, but regardless, the book is adorable.

I'd venture to say that most kids would enjoy it, but maybe boys a bit more than girls. There is also Bats at the Beach - you'll love what they toast over their fire instead of marshmallows. The stories are fun and the illustrations are quite lovely. So I highly recommend checking out Bats in the Library and the other Bats books.


And now back to Friday Finds ...
  1. The Traitor's Wife, by Susan Higginbothan - This is the story of Lady Eleanor de Clare, wife of the man who would betray King Edward II of England. Two reviewers I trust - S. Krishna and Medieval Bookworm - both had good things to say about this book.

  2. First Comes Love Then Comes Malaria, by Eve Brown-Waite - This is a combination travelogue and memoir about Eve's experiences in the Peace Corps. The description sort of reminds me of another book I enjoyed, Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures. S.Krishna is to blame for this addition to my list as well. (If I gave Bad Blogger points like Chris does, S.Krishna would be in trouble this week!)

  3. The Horse Boy, by Rupert Isaacson - This true story of a father's unusual efforts to help his autistic son adjust to "the real world" is not something I'd usually be interested in. However Chris (the same one I mentioned in #2) wrote a glowing review that really caught my attention. His review includes a very touching book trailer, so go check it out.
Nothing new for Kiddo this week, but I can report that his reading is improving bit by bit. The tutor is definitely helping! His confidence is growing and he will not try to read things (signs, book titles, notes, etc.) without being asked - and without stressing over it. Yeah!

For more Friday Finds visit MizB's Blog - there are always lots of titles to explore over there.

Tonight I'm off to the dinner theater with about 20 family members. We'll be seeing MY WAY: A MUSICAL TRIBUTE TO FRANK SINATRA. I'm expecting good things! Then tomorrow I'll be at the Baltimore CityLit Fest where I'll get to hear author Junot Diaz (of Oscar Wao fame) and discuss his book with my book club. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend as well!

9 comments:

Meghan said...

I discovered First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria this week too! I hope you like The Traitor's Wife when/if you get to it. =)

bermudaonion said...

I have my eye on First Comes Love Then Comes Malaria.

-.- said...

I saw First Comes Love Then Comes Malaria this week as well and it really does look like a great book. I love the title.

~ Popin

avisannschild said...

Ha, I just mentioned First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria (what a great title!) on my blog too! The Traitor's Wife is on my radar as well.

Anna said...

You're in for a treat if you decide to read The Traitor's Wife. I loved it, and posted my review today.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Allison said...

Interesting bat book!!!
Guess what..you've won an award..go here to see it!
http://allisonsatticblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/awards.html

Brian Lies said...

Hi- Thanks for blogging BATS AT THE LIBRARY! Funny thing is, I've been surprised at the number of girls who react positively to my bat books. I really did think they'd be more a boy thing...

Please tell Kiddo I said hi, and to look for the little bat with the yellow floaties!

Kristi said...

First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria (hadn't seen this one before - love the title, though) and The Horse Boy both sound great! Ah, well, what's 2 more books on the wishlist when it's a couple of hundred books long? ;o)

Jules said...

Hi, just stopping by to let you know I have an award for you in my blog. I forgot to let you know I awarded you it. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin