Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Finds


Last week I was too exhausted to put together my Friday Finds so this week I've got more to share. :)

Here are the books added to my TBR list recently:
  • Tiger Burning Bright, by Theodora DuBois - This novel is set during the 1857 Sepoy Rebellion in India, and it sounds fascinating. I heard about this from Puss Reboots - go check out her review for more info.

  • The Conqueror: A Novel of William the Conqueror, the Bastard Son Who Overpowered a Kingdom and the Woman Who Melted His Heart, by Georgette Heyer- According to S. Krishna, this is definitely NOT one of Heyer's regency romance novels. Rather, it reads more like a textbook. That's ok with me though, as I've always wanted to learn more about William.

  • one of the many books by Steven Pressfield - In this post Lezlie talks about his skill at writing battle scenes. That's something I raved about in a recent review of Bernard Cornwell's books. Most of Pressman's book are set in ancient Greece so I'm VERY intrigued. Here are some of the titles in case you want to check them out: Tides of War, Gates of Fire, The Virtues of War, The Afghan Campaign, The Last of the Amazons.

Here are the books I thought Kiddo might enjoy:
  • The Mystery of the Haunted Lighthouse, by Elspeth Campbell Murphy - Bookish Ruth says: "This book is part of an excellent Christian fiction series for children. Each book has a theme based on Biblical principles. The Mystery of the Haunted Lighthouse's theme is faithfulness. Spooky but not scary, this is an entertaining read." This is book 7 in the series.
  • The Usborne Book of Science Activities - I'm sure we can find fun things to do over summer vacation in this book. She Is Too Fond of Books posted pictures of her daughter doing some of the experiments - what fun!
And I had to add a movie to the list as well:
  • Lawrence of Arabia - Yes, I AM talking about the "old" movie. I've never seen it and this post reminded me of all the wonderful things I've heard about it.

Have you read/seen any of these? What did you think of them?

You can find more Friday Finds over at MizB's.

11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Ooh, Tiger Burning Bright sounds really good.

Lezlie said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Just a quick correction, the author is Steven Pressfield. I want to make sure you and your readers can find those great books! :-)

Lezlie

Neil Richard said...

Can't say much for the books, but Peter O'Toole rocks in Lawrence of Arabia. Be prepared though, this is one of those longer 1960s movies that has an Intermission. Thankfully it isn't a musical. It's good, but gets missed a lot because it didn't cover the often romanticized European Theater.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - I'm glad you agree.

Lezlie - thanks for the correction.

TK42ONE - Oh yes, I know this is a long one! It will probably be quite a long time before I find time to watch it, but it IS back on my radar screen now so that's a good thing. When I do watch it, it will probably be while working on a scrapbook or some other stay-in-one-place project. :)

Nise' said...

I will have to check out Tiger Burning Bright. I read The White Tiger last week, it was set in India.

Unknown said...

I love Georgette Heyer! Her regencies are my favorites, but her historicals and mysteries are definitely worth checking out IMO.

Alyce said...

I have a copy of The Conqueror that I have already read and reviewed. If you would like me to mail it to you just send me an email.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Nise' - Did you enjoy White Tiger? I've heard mixed reviews ...

Ruth - I haven't read anything by her yet, but I've heard good things.

Alyce - THANKS!

-.- said...

I haven't heard of the authors or books before, but The Conqueror sounds really good.

~ Popin

pussreboots said...

Thanks for the mention! After you see Lawrence of Arabia you should read Seven Pillars of Wisdom as its the book that inspired the film.

Amanda said...

Oh you have to see Lawrence of Arabia. I love it! Beautiful movie. And you have to read about the making of the movie. Amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin