Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, April 13, 2009

Locked Rooms

Locked Rooms
by Laurie R. King
402 pages

This is the 8th book in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. In this episode the couple travels to San Fransisco where they attempt to unravel the secrets of Mary's tragic childhood while navigating a city in the throes of the jazz age.

For me, this book wasn't as good as the others in the series. I know that many bloggers say it is their favorite but I just don't see it. I felt like the middle dragged and the plot was somewhat predictable. However I really did enjoy the final third of the book, so that's a good thing.

After giving it more thought, I'm sure the reason I didn't care for this particular MR/SH episode is that the focus is too much on Russell. Not that I don't like her - I do! - but the other books are more about intriguing cases and the relationship between Russell and Holmes.

Have any of you read this one? Do you agree or disagree with me? Which is your favorite in the series?

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry this was a disappointment for you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin