Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Saturday, August 8, 2009

100 Great Books

Have you seen National Public Radio's Audience Picks for the top 100 beach books? I ignored this list for a while because I thought it was a compilation of chick lit ... and that just isn't my thing. But it is definitely not! It is a list of great books, most of which are real page turners. You can check out the list here.

Of the 100 books on the list, I've ...
  • actually read 31 (31%)
  • seen movies based on another 17 (with the ones I've read, that makes 48%)
  • already had 13 on my TBR list
If I read those last 13 at some point I'll have completed 61% of the list in some form or another. That's much better than the progress I'm making on the 1,001 Books To Read Before You Die list!

Do go check out NPR's list - there are some excellent books on there that are very much worth reading.

9 comments:

Allison said...

Wow - actually surprised by that list. It seems well-rounded. It has a few classics (does have a few chic lits) but a nice collection over all! Thank you for the link!

Literary Feline said...

Having friends who do prefer more serious and longer reads during the summer, I can't say I was completely surprised by the list. I do tend to think of beach reads myself as lighter reads though, I admit.

kellyrae said...

I've read 34 of them. I'm not sure who wants to read The Road on the beach though??? Most depressing book ever.

Heather - have you read The Secret History, or is it on your TBR list? It's one of my favorite books ever - I just picked it up to re-read again..

Lisa said...

I'm right about where you're at with these: I've read 32 and have 16 on my TBR list. I know I'll never get thru all 100 because some of them just do not appeal.

ME said...

I have read 25 and there are many that are sitting on my bookshelf or on my TBR list. I am printing it off. I always can use some good inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Allison - This list surprised me too!

Kellyrae - Yeah, not so sure about THE ROAD. And no, I've not read THE SECRET HISTORY - is is worth the time?

Lit and Life - I completely agree.

Goddess - You're welcome!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

this is, as you say, a well-rounded list. I always like to look at these compiled book lists, and see how my reading stacks up.

Amy said...

I like that list! I definitely wouldn't want to read all of them, but they're much better recommendations than what's laid out on the "beach reads" table at BN. I've read 28 of them, and several are on my TBR list.

Alyce said...

That's cool. I've only read 24, but I have many of the books on my TBR list. I was curious to see if Outlander would be on there and wasn't disappointed. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin