Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Monday, August 24, 2009

Lovely Links #19


Here are the things that have caught my attention lately - hope you find some of them interesting as well!


Reality & Life
  • The first thing I have to share with you is a video. Rather than giving you the link I'm posting it here in the hopes that you'll actually watch it. :) This guy wrote a song in response to his bad experience on United Airlines - gotta love creativity!
~~~~

~~~~
  • My blogging friend Ranger Sarah just moved to a new house ... and you simply MUST see the office that she now has! Book lovers will be swooning.

  • The new Lego Toy Story figures are really cute!!! Go here to check them out.

Books & Bookish Events
  • Have you ever had a "book hangover"? One of my blogger friends used that term in this short post and I had to laugh - that is the perfect name for what you get the morning after you've stayed up too late to read. Too funny!

  • Author Michelle Moran is promoting her upcoming novel, CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER, by having several contests on her blog. Some are targeted to teens since the main character in this book is a young woman. And she's giving away Roman artifacts - very cool!

  • The first review of the upcoming "Wheel of Time" book THE GATHERING STORM (by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson) is up at Dragonmount. Spoilers are clearly marked so you can easily avoid them, so do go over there and read it.

  • Buzz Aldrin preps Buzz Lightyear for his space flight in this cute video. The real Buzz (Aldrin, that is) will be at the Baltimore Book Festival in September - hopefully I'll get to meet him!

  • Has a REVIEW ever brought tears to your eyes? This one by Maw Books did that to me. The book is a children's book called 14 COWS FOR AMERICA. I'd heard of it before but the quote and videos included in this review really touched me.

History
  • A series of fascinating podcasts about Henry VIII. I listened to all of them and really enjoyed the one by Philippa Gregory and several of the David Starkey ones.

  • Speaking of Henry VIII, the English government helped fund the breathtaking restoration of Dover Castle pictured here. The castle now looks as it did when Henry ruled there. I so wish I could see it in person!

  • Here's a video compilation of 500 years of female portraits that is quite beautiful. It even won an award on YouTube. My aunt shared this video on Facebook and I thought it was amazing.

Movies
  • This blogger posted the two clips from New Moon that were shown at ComicCon - all the screaming girls made me laugh so hard!

  • Remaking The Secret of NIMH?! I'm heartbroken over this news. I loved this movie as a child and Kiddo loves it now - why mess with something like that?!

  • Have you seen the trailer for the Johnny Depp Alice In Wonderland movie yet? What do you think of it? Personally, it kind of creeps me out ...

  • Are you familiar with the story THE PORTRAIT OF DORIAN GRAY? It's been adapted into a horror movie called Dorian Gray and you can check out the trailer here.

12 comments:

kelly said...

How funny, I had that United Breaks Guitars song in my head when I got up this morning! Have you seen the 2nd one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UoERHaSQg&feature=channel

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

Thanks for the shout out for 14 COWS FOR AMERICA review. It's just a lovely book and I wish everybody would read it. And yes, "book hangover" I totally have that today.

Nan said...

I loved Sarah's office, and want to see more of her house! I love colorful rooms.

marie said...

Heather loved the office! I'll have to keep the rainbow arrangement of books in mind...it looks great.
Thanks for sharing the Lego link. I think I'll be gifting those to Charlotte's daddy this year.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad you liked my office. I have not yet gotten tired of staring at my rainbow of books. And, because they're not in subject order, I seem to find books I've forgotten about more often. I do have a very colorful house (in response to Nan), and I'm planning on showing more of it as I get each room finished.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Kelly - Ha! I hadn't seen that one - it's great too!

Natasha - You did a great review of a moving book - so glad I can showcase it here.

Nan - Me too!

Marie - I tried that arrangement on my new shelf - it looks pretty good. :)

Sarah - Can't wait to see more pics!

Bybee said...

What a terrific post, Heather! Loved the song, loved Ranger Sarah's library (rainbow effect very nice) and can't wait to see Dorian Gray. You are the Link Queen and that loud thud you just heard is me, falling to my knees.

Anonymous said...

What lovely office. If I could even have one shelf of that in my house, I would be more than happy :)
Bookhanger is the perfect term, isn't it? I'll definitely be using it :)
Thanks for the links.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Bybee - Why thank you ... thank you very much. ;)

violetcrush - glad you enjoyed them!

Lenore Appelhans said...

What a great way to respond to poor customer service! Delta crushed my suitcase, but they were very apologetic about it and got me out a new one within 5 days. I was impressed!

Lisa said...

I've seen the video. Isn't that great? I love that it's gone viral and caused the airline to change their policy.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lenore - Gotta love GOOD customer service!

Lit and Life - Three cheers for the little guy who changed the world! ~LOL~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin