Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Photo Update on Bookish Events

A quick update (with photos!) of the bookish things I've been up to lately ...


~ At the Mobbies ~

Jenn, me, and Nancy

My blog was recently nominated for a Mobbie Award which honors Maryland's Outstanding Blogs. Even though I didn't win (thank you to all who voted - I was solidly in the middle of the pack, and I'm quite happy with that!) I had a lovely evening at the awards ceremony. I spent some time with Read Street blogger Nancy Johnston and her boyfriend Pat, as well as Jenn (aka Raven) of the collaborative sports blog Ladies.... In the hilarious random occurrence of the evening, Jenn was at the Washington Capitals game that Kiddo went to recently and she saw him on the JumboTron - too funny!


~ Storm Leader Preparations ~

check out the prices on these Wheel of Time books - unbelievable!

I already shared my excitement over the upcoming Brandon Sanderson Wheel of Time tour and how I was doubly thrilled to be chosen as a Storm Leader for the Baltimore tour stop. This past weekend I met up with two of the three other Storm Leaders to have lunch, discuss our love of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and scope out the bookstore where the tour will be stopping. Poor Matt was home sick but Mike, Susan and I had a great chat about when we first started reading the series (consensus: 10-15 years ago), and we also speculated on what might happen in the end. Then it was off to the bookstore (Books-A-Millions in Arundel Mills Mall) to meet the store manager and firm up the details of the event. We had a great time and we can't wait to meet Brandon and Harriet on 10/29!

Mike, me, and Susan at Books-A-Million


What bookish things have YOU been up to lately? Any author tours coming to your area? Are you going to any of Brandon's tour stops? Fill me in!

12 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The Mobbie awards sound like so much fun. I don't think my state has anything like that.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - This was a first for Maryland too! It was put together by the Baltimore Sun newspaper and each of the winners got 50,000 placements of their blog link on the Sun's website - pretty cool, huh?! From what I can tell, the event went well and will be continued next year.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

What a great event. Hopefully we will see more of those popping up all over the place. I would be a lot of fun. But then I thin anything that mixes books and people is fun.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've never heard of anything like the Mobbie Awards. Sounds lik Great fun. Loved the picture.

Anonymous said...

Kiddo was on the jumbotron? Very cool!!

I live in the book boonies...bookish events are very rare around here.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Nicole - Yes, I hope other states/regions start this as well!

Diane - It IS a new thing but it was great fun.

softdrink - Yea, he was chosen as "fan of the game" - cool, huh?! His face was plastered all over the jumbotron screens and he was cheered by the whole arena!

Jenn said...

Heather - thanks so much for the blog shout out. It was great meeting you! Maybe I'll see Kiddo at the next Caps game...I think I might have saw him last Saturday. We were in the 400s and I saw a kid with a serious Caps mohawk, and immediately thought of you!

Glad you had fun at the Mobbies!! I can't wait to read some of your books suggestions. It's seriously going to put a dent in my wallet, but I don't really care. haha

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jenn - Yeup, that was Kiddo all right! My husband got last minute tickets to that game and they had a blast. We'll be in the owners box on 11/7 so look for us then! As for denting your wallet, welcome to my world. :) But hey, that's what the library is for!

trish said...

Oh! Bookish events!

I'm going to see John Irving on 11/7, and Barbara Kingsolver is coming to my area but it's at 1pm and I have no vacation time! *sob*

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Trish - I'd be sobbing over the Kingsolver thing too! Maybe you'll get the flu that day and have to miss work ... ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey heather Im a huge WOT fan but I cant find a midnight release party here in baltimore can you help?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin