Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Transformation Study Bible

The Transformation Study Bible
edited by Dr. Warren Weirsbe

One of the most wonderful things about book blogging is having a publicist offer a book for review that turns out to be something you never knew about but that you now have to have. That is how I feel about this version of the Bible.

First, let me show you a picture of a page in my own Bible. You may have to enlarge it to see it clearly, but all that jumble along the edges? Those are notes I've taken during sermons and classes over the past few years. (By the way, if you DO enlarge it, please ignore my horrible handwriting - how embarrassing!) There are MANY pages in my Bible that look like that. I even bought a wide-margin Bible so I could have room for lots of notes. I write about the meaning of the passage, cross-references to other verses, comments about other translations, etc.; I want to be sure that I don't miss a vital piece of information that may come in handy later on.

I know myself, and so when I read the press release for The Transformation Study Bible I knew it would be an amazing resource that I simply had to have. And I was so right!

So far I have only skimmed it but I can't wait to spend time reading it. This is the type of Bible I have always wanted. Each book in this Bible begins with an outline listing the main events/topics of the book and also an overview. Then there is a section summarizing the lessons that we should apply to our lives. The book itself has TONS of footnotes with background history, clarification, and explanation on a verse-by-verse basis. Plus there are cross-references to verses in other parts of the Bible. Basically everything I was trying to record on my own? Yeah, it's all here. Wow.

The only thing that could make it better would be big margins for me to take notes in - because I know there will be more note-taking in my future.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended for anyone wanting to understand the Bible better.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's fantastic that the Bible is so close to you and you actually write notes in it. I have never done any Bible study or even read the whole Bible through. I wish I had a place to go (my Catholic church doesn't offer any) to actually understand the Bible better.

Jamie said...

Heather,
Some ladies in my Bible study group use the Life Application Study Bible. It has all those things you mentioned, and I think one or two even have the wider margins. You may want to take a glance at it too.
@lilly-being Catholic myself, I too had trouble understanding the Bible. I joined a ladies study group, and it has helped immensely! Why not start a study group through your Church, or a group of your friends? There are many resources for a good study, and we generally do one book at a time, or a study on a particular topic-our current book is about actually studying the Bible-the different types of Bibles (like the study Bible Heather mentions here) and how to figure out what each passage means and how to apply it. Good Luck!

jamie

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Lilly - I was raised Catholic and although I did read the Bible, I never thought to take notes in it. It wasn't until joining the non-denominational church I'm in now that I really started learning about what the Bible says (and taking notes on it). Jamie gives some excellent advice in her comment, but I'll add that there is a nationwide (and I think it is even international) Bible Study group called Bible Study Fellowship that likely has classes in your area. It is EXTREMELY organized and to me feels like I'm taking a college course. I highly recommend looking into it - plus it is unaffiliated with any Christian denomination.

Jamie - I've heard good things about that version as well. I was just so surprised by this one, b/c I've heard Dr. Wiersbe's sermons (on the radio) and always loved his insights. Thanks for the suggestions for Lilly!

Regina said...

Hi Heather. Thanks for encouraging me on my blog. I appreciate it.

I'm always on the lookout for good Bible Study Resources. I'll have to check out this version, and the Bible Study Fellowship. I bought the Apologetic Study Bible because it included articles and thoughts of Ravi Zacharias (among others). It's nice to have the insights of those you respect.

Photogrl said...

For some reason, I've always felt weird about writing in my Bible.

I'm going to have to check this out!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Regina - You are so welcome. :) You do a wonderful job on your blog of putting the important things into perspective. On the Bible study topic, there are two local BSF groups; one meets in Severna Park on Thurs. mornings, the other meets in Annapolis on Mon. evenings. I HIGHLY recommend them - they are amazing.

Photogrl - I felt that way for a long time as well! Different denominations treat the Bible in different ways; the way I grew up, it was something to be read and reverenced but never written in. It took me a LONG time to overcome that, and I even had to buy a new Bible so I wouldn't have to write in my "special" one. :)

Suko said...

Wow! This sounds truly wonderful. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Suko - Thanks for your comment! It is always wonderful to hear from new people. :)

Melanie said...

This does sound like a very cool Bible. I've never een one to write in my Bible very much, myself. Usually I just highlight, and then grab another piece of piece of paper for additional thoughts. Of course, this results in paper flying everywhere. I love footnotes. They make everythig make so much more sense.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Melanie - Yay! Another new commenter - welcome! As for highlighting, I had to stop doing that b/c I ended up highlighting just about everything and could never remember later why it was important. ~LOL~ But everyone has to find what works for them. :)

Anonymous said...

I have the Quest Study Bible and I absolutely love it, for all the reasons you mentioned. Based on your review, I'm thinking it's very similar to this one in regards to what is offered inside. It's an AWESOME resource, especially during small group, when we are discussing our interpretations of something and I can just look at the notes in my Quest Bible and clarify something. I love it!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Heather - I love the info that my notes provide when I'm in a small group setting, and this Bible will only give me more of that. So glad you have a similar resource that you love!

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for good notes, maps, concordances, etc, may I recommend the Concordia Self Study Bible? It's available at cph.org

Fantastic!

OddlyAdding said...

Love this post! I have started attending BSF in Severna Park this year and it is amazing. I also wanted to recommend The Inductive Study Bible. The Buble us designed for your to write in it, color code it and take notes in it. It was also my first time giving permission to write in my Bible.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Maribel - I'm glad you are enjoying BSF - I loved it for the one year that I was able to attend!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin