Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, October 29, 2009

1% Well Read Challenge Recap

I've completed the 1% Well Read Challenge for 2009! This year I decided to focus on older books on the list. Below are the books I read, followed by the year they were originally published and a few quick thoughts. The links take you to my reviews.

To keep things fun, I hosted a read-a-long of Cranford (read about it here) and a Dueling Monsters read-a-long for Frankenstein (read about it here). This was a great way to experience these classics and I'll definitely do it again for next year's 1% Challenge.

From my original list ...
  1. The Castle of Otranto (1764) - overly dramatic (but fun), you can definitely tell that gothic literature started here
  2. Evelina (1778) - lots of fun to read, sort of like Jane Austen's books
  3. Castle Rackrent (1800) - meh ...
  4. Cranford (1851) - I loved this book
  5. Frankenstein (1818) - sadly I was disappointed in this one
Added to the list since I read them without knowing they would count for the challenge ...
  1. The Time Machine (1895) - a strange but fascinating little story
  2. Wuthering Heights (1847) - one of my all-time favorite books
  3. Moll Flanders (1722) - the subtitle really says it all (click on the link to read it)
  4. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1961) - odd but interesting
  5. Jane Eyre (1847) - another all time favorite
  6. Gone With The Wind (1937) - fantastic book
Books I removed from this year's list ...
  1. The Last of the Mohicans (1826) - I started this but got caught up in a few other books - I do want to finish it though.
  2. The Lion of Flanders (1838) - I really wanted to read this but can't find a copy anywhere (for a reasonable price).
  3. An Interesting Narrative (1789) - I've heard this is rather boring ...
  4. The Charterhouse of Parma (1839) - I like the title but know nothing about this book.
  5. The Mysteries of Udolpho (1794) - I really want to read this one but just didn't get to it.

This is a challenge that I will continue to participate in each year. I don't plan to read all the books on the 1,001 Books To Read Before You Die list but there are LOTS on the list that I would like to read. This challenge has led me to discover many absolutely wonderful books that I would otherwise never have heard of and also encouraged me to read classics that I've missed out on.

Are you taking part in this challenge this year? How are you doing with it? If you aren't, is it something you'd consider for next year? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this challenge.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Way to go! I'm always impressed when someone completes a challenge. I haven't done it yet, but I think I will this year!

Lezlie said...

Well done! I'm a big fan of the 1001 List, so I think it's a great challenge.

Lezlie

Amanda said...

Congratulations!! I love this challenge. Mine is sort of on ongoing one. Since I started the challenge in 2008 I've read 24 of them. It's a great go-to list for good reads..

Amanda said...

I just noticed you have Last of the Mohicans on there. I LOVE the movie but have to say I just can't read the book. After pages and pages of description of trees I gave up. That was back in high school so maybe I should try again.

Amateur Reader (Tom) said...

Congratulations and well-done.

The Charterhouse of Parma has what might be the most deceptive title in 19th century literature. Not that one shouldn't read it! Just, um, set the title aside while reading.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

bermudaonion - you can do it!

Lezlie - thanks!

Amanda - I love seeing which ones you choose to review. Great job so far. And I think we've discussed MOHICANS before ...

Amateur Reader - Thanks for the heads up ... I'll read it anyway, but it IS good to know. :) I've discovered some great books by simply choosing from the list based on title - we'll see next year if this one will be one of them ...

Lenore Appelhans said...

I tried this last year, but only got to two books on my list. I may try it again sometime though. Congrats for getting it done!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin