Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, Volume 1

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
audiobook: 4.7 hours
narrated by David Timson


*** About the Book ***

This is part one (of two) of the final Sherlock Holmes stories written by the author. It contains six different cases.


*** Why I Read It ***

I needed an audiobook that was readily downloadable from the library onto my phone, and this was one of the few I could get immediately. Plus I love Holmes!


*** My Thoughts ***

I must admit that I was rather disappointed with these stories. They didn’t seem as interesting or as well put-together as others I’ve read or listened to previously. There was also more of a tendency toward the supernatural, or at least toward the “not natural” that didn’t work for me.

On the other hand, Holmes stories are never ALL bad, and there were a few cases that I quite enjoyed.

(I realize this review is VERY brief, but I listened to this before BEA and don’t remember much of it now.)

2 comments:

Allie said...

I haven't gotten to these ones yet, but I have heard that the first three books of Holmes stories (what I just finished) where his best and he lost it after The Hound of the Baskervilles. Perhaps it is just because Doyle was sick of writing about Holmes?

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Allie - HOUND is one of my very favorite stories - I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it (eventually)! This is the first time I've been really disappointed with Holmes stories, but I'm definitely not turned off for good. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin