Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, June 4, 2010

My BEA Recap: Part 1

BEA Prep

Having never been to BEA before I knew that I’d likely be overwhelmed with all the options for things to do there – author signings, industry-focused talks, genre panels, and so on. To help make sure that I attended the events that were important to me I created a schedule before I left. Then I realized that I might not want to stick with that schedule so I created a list of alternate events – sorted by day – that I might like to attend. I also had lists of phone numbers (just in case I lost my cell phone) and addresses, publicist and publisher contacts, copies of my BEA registration and train ticket, and several other papers. To keep them all from getting lost or wrinkled up I bound them into a book. Yup, you read that right: I bound my notes into a book, complete with a lovely cover with my name and phone # in case it got lost. What’s that? You didn’t realize I was such a nerd? Ah well, now you know.

And guess what? That book was the envy of many bloggers I met! ~LOL~

Day 1 – Arrival

My train ride from Baltimore to New York took about three hours, during which I was very comfortable and relaxed. Most of the trip was spent reading a fascinating non-fiction book entitled THE EYES OF WILLIE MCGEE, by Alex Heard (I’m still reading it but look for a review later this month).


my bags at the train station


Once in the city I hooked up with my three roommates: Shanyn, April, and Monica. I picked up my hotel key from them, and then Monica and I headed back to our room to relax for a bit. (How cool is it that Monica – who I did not know prior to our plans to room together – lives about 20 minutes from me?!)

That evening there was an author event at a local children’s bookstore called Books of Wonder. I headed there on my own to see which bloggers I could find (I’m really sorry authors, but I wasn’t there for you!). I immediately saw several l recognized and had a great time meeting lots of new people. I was surprised at how many people recognized my face from my blog – it was great to have bloggers coming up and introducing themselves to me.

I hooked up with a group who was heading out to dinner shortly, which was exactly what I’d hoped to do. There were about 12 of us and we ended up being at two separate tables. My table included these lovely ladies:

Julie @ Booking Mama, Kathy @ Bermuda Onion, and Natasha @ Maw Books, (and me)


and also Sheila @ Book Journey, and Reagan @ Miss Remmers’ Review

Those last two ladies had blogs that I wasn’t following prior to BEA but you can bet that I am now!

After dinner I headed back to my hotel and got to know my roomies at bit better. I got in bed just before midnight and set my alarm for 4:50am.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

15 comments:

Miss Remmers said...

I'm finally following you as well! I love hearing about how your trip started! Thanks so much for all your help and advice. It was great meeting you.

bermudaonion said...

I'm so glad you mentioned your famous notebook! Dinner was so much fun!

April (BooksandWine) said...

Hah, that notebook was made of awesome, I remember being incredibly impressed by it.

Serena said...

I'm jealous...I didn't get to see the book in person! LOL Love this wrapup.

Jenny said...

I saw you at BEA but never had a chance to go introduce myself. There were so many bloggers there!! Maybe next year! What a great idea to put your stuff into a book... I need to do that next year b/c even though I scheduled myself well this year, I didn't have a very good list of alternate events to attend!

Anna said...

Glad to see you had such a good time. We were supposed to go to the event at Books of Wonder, but we didn't make it. Too tired.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Reagan - It was wonderful to meet you as well! I'm just sorry you couldn't stay longer. :(

bermudaonion, April, & Serena - Yeah, my notebook DID get a lot of attention ... LOL

Jenny - I'm sorry I missed the chance to meet you!

Anna - I only made it there at the end, just in time to catch some of the bloggers before they left for dinner. It was my first night in town so I didn't have a chance to get tired yet!

Anonymous said...

That Strand bag looks pretty snazzy. ;-)

Tales of Whimsy said...

You met Bermuda Onion?
She's like a super star :)

Sheila is SO pretty!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I was a envious of your notebook organization. I hope to put something together next year like that. It was great hanging out with you!

Beth F said...

Love the Strand bag -- and you are just too organized! Glad we met in person!

Jen - Devourer of Books said...

I had my schedule in a nice folder AND on my phone, but I barely touched it the whole time!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

softdrink - Hmm, I wish I could remember where that bag came from ... ~LOL~

juju - It was such fun meeting Kathy and Sheila and everyone else!

Sheila - I had a great time with you and can't wait for next year ... though my feet are happy to take a year to recover. ;)

Beth F - I'm so happy to have met you!!!

Jen - I knew if I didn't print mine out I'd never look at it ... hence, the book. :)

Michelle said...

You bet I was jealous of your nerdery! I was coveting your organizational skill when I saw the awesomeness of your schedule!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Michelle - Ah yes, I revel in my nerdery!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin