Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kids Picks: The Fox in the Dark (a BEA book)

written by Alison Green
illustrated by Deborah Allwright
31 pages

This is one of the only children's books I picked up at BEA in New York earlier this month.  It caught my attention because the cover art is so adorable.  I was lucky enough to have it signed by the author too!

The story: Rabbit is chased through the dark by a fox but he makes it safely home.  Shortly afterward, several of his friends knock on his door after being chased themselves.  Suddenly the fox is knocking at the door ... but he isn't exactly what they expected.

Kiddo and I took turns with this, each of us reading one page out loud. Here are his thoughts:
  1. Did you like this book?  Yes. I liked the book because it was fun.
  2. What was your favorite part?  When the fox came in.
  3. What was your least favorite part?  Didn't have one.
  4. What did you think of the illustrations?  I thought they were cute.
  5. Would you recommend this book to your friends?  To kids younger than me, like Johnny [that's Kiddo's almost-4-year-old cousin]
  6. Is there anything else you'd like to say about this book?   I thought it was really cute and funny.
Kiddo and I made a video to discuss this book a bit more and Kiddo also wanted to read a page to you.  Enjoy! [Note: This was recorded before the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup last week.]





Kids' Picks is a monthly event hosted by 5 Minutes for Books.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, this was great! Enjoyed seeing both you and Kiddo. He's a good reader. I'm a little short on kids these days. All the nieces and nephews are teens now and no grandkids yet. However, I'll keep it in mind. Tell Kiddo, he's a star!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I wanna go to BEA next year.


mine

Ryan said...

The book sounds adorable and I loved the video. You both did a fantastic job.

Unknown said...

Very cute!

I am always doing the "you read a page and I'll read a page" thing as well. It gets him reading, and he always does WAY better than I think he thinks he can.

Miss Remmers said...

Hey girl! Great post! Hope all is well and life has settled down for you a bit!

I've got an award for you: http://www.missremmersreview.com/2010/06/award-61510.html

morninglight mama said...

Isn't it fabulous to have signed books? Just my favorite. :)

Sounds like a cute book- thanks to you and Kiddo for sharing!

elizabeth bennett said...

Heather,
This post is great! We love the video. Thank you for continuing to share our book with your followers.
Happy Reading,
Elizabeth
tiger tales

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Kay - Yeah, Kiddo likes to think he's famous ... :)

Brooke - It was definitely worth the expense!

Ryan G - Thanks - we had fun with it!

Jennifer - We have the exact same experience in our house. :)

Miss Remmers - Thanks! I saw your post but haven't had a chance to comment yet.

morninglightmama - Glad you enjoyed it!

Elizabeth - You are very welcome! We had a lot of fun with this book and Kiddo wants to keep it on his "special" shelf.

Rea said...

Aw man! My library doesn't have it!

Alyce said...

Kiddo is reading so well! My youngest has just started reading level 1 books at the library, and so it takes us a long time to get through a book.

The video was great, and I loved the ending with you guys rooting for the Blackhawks!

Jenners said...

What a great way to involve a kid in the book review process. I'll have to consider this with my Little One!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rea - Thanks for stopping by! It's too bad your library doesn't have it, but it IS brand new ... maybe they'll get it eventually.

Alyce - I'm so proud of him for reading on camera - he's usually not up for reading in front of anyone. Glad you enjoyed the video!

Jenners - Kiddo LOVES doing book reviews with me ... he thinks being on my blog means he's famous. :)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jenners - I meant to add "Let me know if you do try this with your kiddo!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin