Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Great Contest at This Book For Free!



There's a great blog called This Book for Free that you should really check out. So far, she has given away about 40 books! Plus she's hosting a really cool contest - you can win the not-yet-released book from your favorite author! Here are the rules:

1. Blog about a book written by one of your favorite authors. Tell us why you like it, what’s good about it, and your favorite parts. Make sure to post my button/banner in the post, or mention about this game in your post.

2. If you have no blog, you can post about it in a bulletin/message board of your choice. Leave the link in the comment form below.

3. Mention this site at http://thisbookforfree.com/.

4. Paste one of my buttons from the sidebar. (if you have questions about pasting buttons, please email me, or click on contact me at my navigation bar.)

5. Leave your comment with a link to your specific post to be eligible to win.

6. You can post more than once, about different authors, if you have more than one blog. (But only one blog post per blog).

Who can resist an easy contest like this?! If you win, you can choose any upcoming release by your favorite author (as long as it's from Amazon.com and costs less than $25).

Here's my post on the subject:

The book I want to win is A Memory of Light, by Brandon Sanderson, due out in 2009.

Since the mid-90s, I've been engrossed in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. If you've been reading my blog, you know that I've posted about this before. Plus I talk about it in the sidebar.

Why do I like this series so much? Jordan is a master of the "long narrative" form. There are 11 books so far in the series, and each one averages 900 pages. At the beginning there were a handful of main characters; over time, those characters split up and met more characters ... and Jordan follows the story of each of them. In a way, I feel like I've grown up with these characters since I've "known" them for so many years. There's no way to pick a favorite part ... there's just too much to choose from!

Unfortunately for all of us, James Rigney (aka Robert Jordan) lost his battle with a rare blood disorder in September 2008, leaving the last book of the series unfinished. Thankfully, he had literally thousands of pages of notes, many completed chapters, and had revealed the end of the epic story to a select few people.

Long story short, Brandon Sanderson will complete the final book of the series, entitled A Memory of Light. I can't wait for the release of this book!

If there are any other WOT fans out there, I'd love to hear from you. And if anyone decides to enter the contest at This Book for Free, please post a comment here and let me know!

5 comments:

Shoshana said...

Heather, thank you for joining the contest. I didn't know that Robert Jordan died. I just started collecting his series so I can read it.

dd said...

Wow, that's a good review! It really makes me want to read The Wheel of Time series! I also have posted a review on my blog about Sweethearts by Sara Zarr! =D Good luck!

~Lucy D =)

dd said...

Oh, yeah! And my review is really boring and long! =( It just wouldn't come out right. Oh well! =)

Lori's Reading Corner said...

Thanks for posting about this :) I've already joined.

Amanda said...

Heather, I'm new to reading your blog and fine we have a lot of similar tastes in books! I'm adding links to my blog if we've reviewed the same book. And I LOVE the Wheel of Time series and have made my two siblings addicted as well :) Yay!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin