Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, May 2, 2008

National Poetry Month?

April was National Poetry month, so I decided to broaden my horizons by reading a poem a day (courtesy of The Borzoi Reader). What I realized very quickly is that, like short stories, poetry is just NOT my cup of tea. Out of an entire month of poems there were only a handful that I really understood (does that say something about me?!) and even fewer that I really LIKED. Here's a sampling of what I read this month:

The ones that I enjoyed:

These were just awful (sorry if anyone is offended):

And these just made me say "Huh?":

Did anyone else read poetry last month? Or maybe you read it regularly? Or even write it! I'd love to know what you all think about poetry ... what is the big draw? What makes a poem "good"? Even better, what makes a poem "powerful" or "meaningful"? Like I said, for the most part I just don't get it!


[Thanks to Bibliolatry who got me thinking about this.]

2 comments:

Clare - The Super Mommy Club said...

I really like that one Consider Me - thanks for the link! That's my idea of a great poem (er so I do like some then!!)

Here's how you do the href thing - just remove the spaces next to the < and >

< a href="insertlinkhere" >Insert text here < /a >

Anonymous said...

I recently read the book "Pardon Us Ms. Writer" and really enjoyed it. This is modern poetry at its best. Such elegance and grace is hard to find.
href="http://www.pardonusmswriter.com/">Poetry Book

Blog Widget by LinkWithin