Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Irresistible Review Challenge! (hey, that's what it's called!)

Ok, I'm up for another challenge, but only because it means I get to read exactly what I want to read! Darla at Books & other thoughts is running the Irresistible Review Challenge and I've signed up already. Here's how it works:
1. Read 8 books between now and Labor Day (September 1) that you were inspired to read after reading a fellow book-blogger's review. Ideally the books will be ones you'd never heard of or would probably not have considered reading had it not been for the review. If you expanded your horizons or went beyond your usual reading comfort zone because of the review, all the better!
2. Write a review of the book on your blog.
3. (The most important step) Make sure you link to the review that inspired you to read the book in the first place!
4. Books read for other challenges count.
5. There is no need to make a list ahead of time - for this type of challenge, it's probably best to remain open to serendipity in the bookblogosphere!
So instead of picking new books to read from a list, I just have to commit to reading some of the books I'm adding to my TBR list - how easy is that?!

For this challenge, I'll add titles to my list (in this post) as I decide on them. Of course, I'll have review posts for each book read, but my list will reside here.

My "Official" Challenge List
  1. King Solomon's Mines, by H. Rider Haggard ... because of the review from Books 'N Border Collie (added to my list on 05/21) - update: here the link to my review
  2. Last Chance to See, by Douglas Adams ... because of the review by Things Mean A Lot (added to my list on 05/22) - update: here's the link to my review
  3. Bram Stoker's Dracula ... of course I've heard of it, but I've never wanted to read it until I saw this by The Sleepy Reader (added to the list on 5/28)
  4. Stone Creek, by Victoria Lustbader ... not sure why bookclubgirl's blurb appealed to me, but it is something I would NEVER have picked up on my own (added to the list on 5/20) update: here's the link to my review
  5. Life is So Good, by George Dawson ... never heard of it but the review on In Their Shoes was excellent (added to the list on 5/30) update: here's the link to my review
  6. Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie ... I've got several of his books on my TBR list since I figure I SHOULD read something by him, but this review on Musings really caught my attention (added to the list on 6/9) update: here's the link to my review
  7. In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan ... I've never wanted to read a "food book" but this one seems very "user friendly" according to The Inside Cover's review (added to the list on 6/16) update: here the link to my review
  8. Pyongyang, by Guy Delisle ... I've never read a graphic novel but I somehow came across this review at Naked without Books and had to add this one to my list (added to the list on 6/8) update: here the link to my review

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin