Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Update

For those of you who read my Memorial Day post, you know I was trying to come up with a way to commemorate this special day, especially after I got to thinking about my Grandpa's best friend (click here to read my post about him).

So here's what we did ...My husband, son (6 yrs old) and I went to the Maryland Veterans Cemetery in Crownville with 30 roses. We close a random row of gravestones and started at one end. At each grave, we lay a rose on the tombstone, then read the name of the person and which war they served in: WWII, Korea, Vietnam, or some combination of those three. Whenever we'd see WWII, my son would say "that's just like Grandpa Nick" (meaning MY grandpa) ... whenever we'd see Vietnam, he's say "that's just like Grandpa Hugh" (meaning my dad). Several tombstones mentioned the Bronze Star or the Purple Heart. We explained those honors to my son, and he recalled that Grandpa Nick has a Purple Heart.

It was a very moving experience for all of us. My husband's first comment after leaving was "We need to do this every year."

8 comments:

Julie P. said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Memorial Day!

Fiddle1 said...

I am so impressed and pleased to see how you decided to teach your son about this important day. I'll have to remember that! It is evident from your posts that you are a dedicated mom, and something tells me that your son is a reader! I don't have the Irish background that you have, but I'll read any story set in Ireland. We visited for two weeks back in 2004 and really want to go back.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Julie - Thank you. We really enjoyed it, and I know my son will remember it.

Fiddle1 - It's funny, so far my son is not a big reader. He loves to look at books (Star Wars usually, or maybe Legos) and is getting into comic books but he can't read yet. But he is very smart, and I know he'll pick it up soon. About Ireland, where did you go? I've been twice - and can you believe that one of those times was in 2004?!

Jodi @ SNAPPED said...

What a moving post. Thank you for showing your love and support to those who serve and have served our country.
Your little guy is adorable!
Thanks for visiting my blog.
This NaComLeavMo is fun! I like getting to meet new people!
~Jodi

Anonymous said...

oh wow, that just moved me so much. What a lovely thing to do. In my mind I imagine the family that comes to honor their loved one and how it might feel to see a rose from your visit at the grave. so so sweet.

NaComlEavMo!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Jodi & Calliope - thanks for stopping by. We definitely feel like this was the right thing to do and are planning to continue visiting this cemetery every Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful thing to do. I think it's amazing how much your son has picked up about his ancestors. What an amazing 6 year old!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks Manda ... of course, I think he's pretty brilliant, but it's nice to hear from someone else! ~lol~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin