Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 Challenge Wrap Up

I realized that I didn't do a recap of the challenges I participated in during my 30th year. It was my first year of blogging so there weren't that many, but I'm going to recap them here. This is for my own enjoyment really, so feel free to skim over post this if you like.

Reading Challenges Recap
Age 30: Nov. 4, 2007 - Nov. 3, 2008

~~~~~Completed Challenges~~~~~

Historical Fiction Reading Challenge
This was the very first challenge I joined and I even completed it early. The goal was to read 6 historical fiction books. Here's what I read:
  • Suite Francaise, by Irene Nemirovsky
  • The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck
  • Year of Wonders, by Geraldine Brooks
  • Cane River, by Lalita Tademy
  • Water for Elephants, by Sarah Gruen
  • Cannery Row, by John Steinbeck
And here's a link to all my reviews.


The Irresistible Review Challenge
The goal was to read 8 books that you would not have picked up had it not been for another blogger's review. I read 6 within the deadline and finished the last two afterward. Here's what I read:
  • King Solomon's Mines, by H. Rider Haggard
  • Last Chance to See, by Douglas Abrams
  • Dracula, by Bram Stoker
  • Stone Creek, by Victoria Lustbader
  • Pyongyang, by Guy Delisle
  • In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
  • Life Is So Good, by George Dawson
  • Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie
And here's a link to all my reviews.


The Summer Reading Thing
The purpose of this challenge is to challenge yourself. My goal was to read 5 specific books and finish the other two challenge I signed up for. In the end I did finish one challenge on time and 4.5 of the 5 books. Here's what I read:
  • Matrimony, by Joshua Henkin
  • Life Your Road Trip Dream, by Phil and Carol White
  • Maggie Again, by John Husband
  • Genuine Men, by Nancy Bruno
  • Why The Wind Blows, by Matthys Levy
And here's a link to my reviews.

~~~~~Ongoing Challenges~~~~~

The 1% Well Read Challenge
The goal was to read 10 books from the list of 1,001 books to read before you die. This challenge is still going on. So far I've read 4 complete books and half of two others. The list is in my left sidebar.


LOST Books Reading Challenge
The goal is to read 5 books that relate to the TV show Lost. This challenge ends later this month. So far I've read three books. The list is in my left sidebar.

2 comments:

Lezlie said...

Nice job! Congratulations on your accomplishments!

Lezlie

Hannah Furst said...

I recently read your post about Irène Némirovsky and wanted to let you know about an exciting new exhibition about her life, work, and legacy that opened on September 24, 2008 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage —A Living Memorial to the Holocaust in New York City. Woman of Letters: Irène Némirovsky and Suite Française, which will run through the middle of March, will include powerful rare artifacts — the actual handwritten manuscript for Suite Française, the valise in which it was found, and many personal papers and family photos. The majority of these documents and artifacts have never been outside of France. For fans of her work, this exhibition is an opportunity to really “get to know” Irene. And for those who can’t visit, there will be a special website that will live on the Museum’s site www.mjhnyc.org.

The Museum will host several public programs over the course of the exhibition’s run that will put Némirovsky’s work and life into historical and literary context. Book clubs and groups are invited to the Museum for tours and discussions in the exhibition’s adjacent Salon (by appointment). It is the Museum’s hope that the exhibit will engage visitors and promote dialogue about this extraordinary writer and the complex time in which she lived and died. To book a group tour, please contact Tracy Bradshaw at 646.437.4304 or tbradshaw@mjhnyc.org. Please visit our website at www.mjhnyc.org for up-to-date information about upcoming public programs or to join our e-bulletin list.

Thanks for sharing this info with your readers. If you need any more, please do not hesitate to contact me at hfurst@mjhnyc.org

Blog Widget by LinkWithin