Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jeeves Takes Charge

Jeeves Takes Charge
by PG Wodehouse
3 cassettes, 4.5 hours

I'm sure you're getting tired of hearing about it by now, but I'm still enjoying my fling with Wodehouse (read about my earlier affairs here and here). This is yet another collection of short stories and it includes the following:
  • Jeeves Takes Charge - in which we learn how Jeeves came into the employ of Bertie Wooster, and how Bertie came to rely so heavily on Jeeves's judgement
  • Without the Option - in which Bertie's pal is jailed and Bertie must impersonate said pal for several weeks
  • The Artistic Career of Corky - in which Bertie has adventures in New York
  • The Aunt and the Sluggard - in which the New York adventures continue
  • Jeeves and the Uninvited Guest - in which Bertie and Jeeves have a falling out of sorts while still in New York
  • Jeeves and the Hard Boiled Egg - in which I found reason to laugh out loud yet again

As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of short stories but this collection was quite enjoyable. I'd like to get back to an entire novel by Wodehouse, however I'm working through whatever is available at the library so I'll take what I can get.

I've gotten some great recommendations for other Wodehouse creations from my readers - thanks! Have I convinced any of you out there to try him out yet?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I asked for recommendations Nicole recommended Wodehouse. I haven't gotten there yet, but these reviews definitely encourage me to pick him up sometime.

momofonefornow said...

That comment you made about the library made me realize how sad I am about mine.

I have always loved the library, the smell, the way you can get the books you want for free, the quiet. Then we moved to a fairly small county. The county has like 6 library branches but even the big one is sorely lacking. The books are never in great shape. Everytime I take the bean in there it makes me cringe because I knwo we will be taking home several books with little to no binding left. I am always afraid he will grab it wrong and the book will fall to pieces. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for our library, I just wish it was better. I hope you have an awesome library to go to.

Amanda said...

Oh you've totally convinced me. I'm definitely going to have to pick up a story or two :)

Jill said...

Your Wodehouse posts have made me go back to the very first one to start over again, listening to them on audio this time! It will be fun to revisit (and catch up on the ones I've missed over the years). Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin