Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mom & Son Book Club #8: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Mom & Son Book Club #8




The Tales of Beedle the Bard
by JK Rowling
108 pages


Hubby bought this book supposedly for kiddo, but I think he really bought it for himself. That's ok though, because we've all been enjoying it!

I read this to kiddo over about a week. My rule was that I'd only read if kiddo had already taken his shower and was quickly getting ready for bed, so that meant we skipped a few nights. On the nights we did read, we'd sit on the couch together - he eating a snack, me reading - then I'd follow him to the bathroom to read while he brushed his teeth.

Each night we'd read one of the Tales along with the accompanying commentary by Albus Dumbledore. The five Tales are:
  • The Hopping Pot
  • The Fountain of Fair Fortune
  • The Warlock's Hairy Heart
  • Babbitty Rabbitty and the Cackling Stump
  • The Three Brothers

After we finished reading last night I told kiddo that we needed to do our Mom & Son Book Club questions. His response? "Oh yeah! 'Cause they've been missing me on your blog, right?" Yes, dear readers, even kiddo knows about you and is concerned what you think!

Now, on to the questions. Oh, and as a reminder, I write out kiddo's answers just as he gives them to me and I add my comments in italics.

Did you like the book? Yes, but I didn't like some of the stories.

Which was your favorite Tale? The Three Brothers - it was a really exciting tale, and because it was in the Harry Potter books. I liked this one too, but I don't think I can say it was my favorite. Not sure I HAVE a favorite myself.

Which was your least favorite Tale? The Hairy Heart one - it was creepy, it was a scary story, and it was weird. I don't think anybody under age 6 (my age) should have that story read to them. Oh I agree! This one was quite creepy. *shiver* And rather difficult to explain to kiddo as well.

What did you think of the illustrations? (I used to say "pictures" but kiddo learned about illustrators this year and now he asks about the "illustrations" and the "illustrators" all the time.) I would like it more if it had more color, but otherwise it is fine. Color is a big thing with kiddo - black and white illustrations never get his full approval.

Would you recommend this book to your friends? Only if they liked Harry Potter and they weren't afraid of creepy stories. If they aren't afraid of creepy stories then they should go ahead and read it.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about this book? Hmm, not very much. This book is a very good book but some of it is a little scary. Anything else? Nope, that's it.

Thanks kiddo! I really enjoyed reading this book with you. I'm so glad you like Fantasy as much as your momma does. :)

Here's what other bloggers have to say about this book:
In Spring It Is the Dawn
Things Mean A Lot
Out of the Blue
Melody's Reading Corner
The Bluestocking Guide
The Book Lady's Blog
and your review should be here!

For more Kids Picks click the button above.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Kiddo's back! I did miss your Mom & Son Book Club posts.

I have a blogging friend (well, he is an IRL friend with a blog) whose seven year old son also has 'blogging' in his vocab. Makes for quite a few laughs! Oh, those 21st century kids... :-)

Anonymous said...

Great review, Kiddo! I bought this book for my hubby for Christmas, so I can read it too!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I reviewed this book too!

Beedle the Bard

Anonymous said...

I reviewed it here.

Alicia said...

He is adorable!!! What a great interview!

valentina said...

oh he's so cute!!
I agree with him about the Hairy heart. i work in a bookshop and I always try to warn the parents about that fairytale. Creepy!

Ana S. said...

Love the Mom & Son Book Club!

I agree with kiddo about his favourite and least favourite, though I still enjoyed The Warlock's Hairy Heart. It probably helps that I'm older and used to reading dark fairy tales :P

Unknown said...

I'm supposed to have a copy on the way, but hmmm. . . . I haven't gotten it yet.

Anonymous said...

I picked up a copy at Target this past weekend. I'll get to it at some point. A=I also picked up Harry, A History.

Alyce said...

I can't wait to read the creepy stories! Great review!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I love the idea of a mother and son book club! I have to wait until Christmas to read my copy of this book!

Rebecca Reid said...

I just read this last night. And yes Hairy Heart was creepy. When you said you read it with kiddo I thought "even that hairy heart one?!" but I think that's how fairy tales were originally...before they got pc in the modern age.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, Heather and Kiddo!

We did miss you, Kiddo! I always like to read what you have to say about the books you and your Mom read together.

Josette said...

Hi,

I enjoyed reading your interview with 'kiddo'! I haven't bought this book yet but it's on my to-buy list. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin