Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Twilight movie review

I have not yet read Twilight but I went to see the movie last night anyway. I asked a friend to go with me, and she agreed because she wanted to see it for the second time anyway. Since it was after work on a Tuesday night the theater was practically empty. There we 6 people total: a 40-something couple in front of us, a pair of early 20-something girls behind us, and us in the middle. Here are my thoughts in no particular order.


  • I really liked it! I can believe how much I enjoyed the complete fluff that is Twilight. It's really quite ridiculous if you think about it, but I loved it anyway.

  • It completely creeps me out that the guy who plays Jacob was also Shark Boy in the movie Shark Boy and Lava Girl. Kiddo loved Shark Boy. There is something seriously wrong when mom (me) thinks a child star (that kiddo really likes and who I remember as being a funny kid) is cute. *blech*

  • There were some seriously funny parts. I tried not to laugh because I thought it was supposed to be all dramatic and stuff, but then I realized the girls behind us were giggling too. Then I had to laugh even harder.

  • Jasper reminded me of Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, and even a bit in Charley and the Chocolate Factory. I don't get why some girls think he's so adorable - he was just funny looking to me.

  • I loved not knowing what was going to happen next. I avoided all spoilers before seeing the movie so it was lots of fun for me to be surprised.

  • I am totally going to read the books now. All of them. And quickly. Although I'm restraining myself and not starting until just before Christmas.

  • The vampire family was very intriguing to me. As soon as the movie ended I asked my friend if they book goes into their back stories and she said yes. I'd read the books for that reason alone.

I have more thoughts, but these include some MINOR spoilers so don't read on if you don't want to know what happened.



  • What's the deal with the glaring and staring? For the first half of the movie Edward glares and Bella and Bella stares at Edward ... that's about it. It was quite odd.

  • And speaking of odd, for the first half of the movie Edward is all pale and makeup-covered. But once he and Bella officially get together his color turns more normal. What's the deal with that?!

  • I really liked James's character and I wish there was more of him. It seemed like he barely started tracking Bella and then BOOM he's dead. I would have liked to drool over him some more.

  • One of the few things that I do know about the books is that Jacob is a werewolf so I enjoyed the hints they threw in and the foreshadowing of what comes next.

Have you seen this movie? Read the book? Plan to do either? I'd love to know!

And check out what other people say about it on this special Twilight edition of the Movie Madness Carnival!

13 comments:

Alyce said...

I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to until I read the book. With the size of my TBR pile that could be a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Suey said...

I said the exact same thing about Jasper. Pretty creepy dude.

If you read the excerpts from Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's POV) found on Stephenie Meyer's site... you'll know why Edward was glaring for the first bit!

Enjoy the books!

Kerry said...

I haven't seen the movie (it doesn't even start here until Boxing Day) but I've read the first book and I think you summed it up perfectly.

I really liked it! I can believe how much I enjoyed the complete fluff that is Twilight. It's really quite ridiculous if you think about it, but I loved it anyway.

That was my reaction to the book exactly.

Zedque said...

All the books are totally addictive, and total fluff, both. The movie was not too far off, though I did spend most of the time laughing!

The glaring and staring makes a lot more sense in the book... there's a lot of internal dialogue that is necessarily left out in the movie.

Jasper creeped me out in the movie too, but not so in the book. He looked so startled the whole time!

And yes, the makeup looked like it wore off as the movie went on. Didn't they stop to refresh???

Jen said...

I'm so glad you decided to link up your review!! I love reading all the different opinions on Twilight. It is fascinating to me.

The glaring and staring is better explained in the book, I think. Probably more in Midnight Sun (Edward's perspective). I'm glad you are going to read the books. I'll be interested to hear how you like them!! I'm on the third book right now and LOVING it!!

Anonymous said...

I am certainly planning to see the movie when it comes to India. I have read the first 3 books in the series and loved them.

Literary Feline said...

I posted my review of the book and movie today too. :-) I've seen the movie twice now. My husband liked the movie quite a bit too, having not read the book.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Not sure on either count...I think probably I will read the book first and that could be a while. I am actually more interested in reading The Host.

Anonymous said...

Hah, I just got sucked into these books. Haven't seen the movie yet but will soon. I've read the 1st 3 and just borrowed #4. They only take a day or two to read. So fluffy but so fun!

Most of the ??s you have are explained in the book. Now I'm excited to see the movie!

(Glad you're back and posting again!)

Anna said...

I liked the movie a lot. Not sure if I was supposed to be laughing the whole way through, but it was a great time.

I have no idea why I think Jasper is cute. He's creepy, but cute, and there is no explanation! LOL

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

I took my 12-yr-old to see it this past weekend. I haven't read any of the books, but she has read them all 3 or 4 times.

The movie met my expectations ... I kept telling myself that it was no more 'out there' than the Harry Potter films were.

I agree with you on the Jasper/Johnny Depp look.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Twilight addict now. I still haven't seen the movie but I'm dying to. I've read the first three books, and I'm waiting on my sister-in-law to finish the 4th before I dig in. She's not thrilled with the 4th. Can't wait to see why not...

Anonymous said...

seems likely that they will come out with a Twilight sequel pretty soon, there's a crazy lot of ticket sales at stake

Blog Widget by LinkWithin