Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, September 26, 2008

Author Talk: Kathleen McCleary at the Baltimore Book Fest

I had a lovely time at the Ladies Night Out event at the Baltimore Book Festival this evening. My friend Melissa went with me (thanks Melissa for coming at the very last minute!) and we quite enjoyed the wine and finger foods provided for us. This part of the Festival was held inside the Walters Art Museum. I was glad about that as the weather was a bit iffy. In the end, it didn't rain 'til we were driving home, but I was glad to be inside all the same.

The first panel included three authors: Megan McCafferty (the Jessica Darling series), Norma Jarrett (The Sunday Brunch, and Sweet Magnolias), and Kathleen McCleary (House and Home).

My entire purpose for attending was to meet Kathleen. I enjoyed her book and have exchanged a few emails with her. Imagine my pleasure when she knew who I was as soon as I told her my name!

I videoed part of the panel discussion using my digital camera ... sorry if it's a bit bumpy. This first video is Kathleen talking about her book, and reading the first paragraph.





One of the first questions asked of Kathleen was "What website did you use for that novel writing class?" Here's her answer:





A question I loved was "What are you reading now?" Here are answers from all three authors:




Another questions was "Do you have another job, or are you a full-time author?"

  • Megan is a mom too! Her child will be 6 soon.
  • Norma teaches business law and ethics part time.
  • Kathleen is now a full time author.

After the panel I had a chance to speak with Kathleen again. She was kind enough to sign my book, and even wrote a little note rather than just her signature.




It was a lovely evening! I enjoyed hearing from the other two authors as well. I haven't read any of their books ... if you have, let me know what you think.

I'll be back at the Book Festival tomorrow - I can't wait!

We ended up staying for the 2nd panel, but that post will have to come later as I'm ready for bed now.

PS. Click here to read my review of House and Home. Also, Kathy did an interview at this blog - if you scroll to the bottom, you can read about her next book.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does look like a lovely evening. I'm star struck when it comes to authors.

Nan said...

Thanks so much! It was like being there. Interesting to hear what they are reading. Have you ever read the Kristin L. book? I've heard about it a lot over the years, but haven't read it (them? - it may be a series). You look SO happy, Heather!

Anonymous said...

Heather! This is so cool! I've been waiting for this post. Wow, what a great experience, and thanks for taking video. It's almost as if we got to be there with you! Kathy seems as nice in person as online. This is great, thanks so much for sharing.

Suey said...

Very fun to see this! Thanks for taking the time to upload these and share! :)

Literary Feline said...

Thank you for sharing, Heather. What a wonderful time! I really enjoy going to the festival in my part of the country. It's so much fun to see some of our favorite authors in person, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

This is great! The video is fantastic; really, close to being there :)

I'm glad you're having such a good time, and that your friend was able to join you for the Ladies Night Out.

Looking forward to your other posts ...

Amy said...

I'm so glad you had such good time! I had another weekend spent between the couch and the bathroom, so no Book Festival for me. I can't wait for the 2nd trimester!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Bermuda - Me too! Although events like this remind me that they are sometimes starstruck with their readers as well. :)

Literary - I hope to see posts about YOUR festivals in the future!

Lisa, Dawn, and Suey - I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Amy - I'm sorry you're still feeling ill. You missed a wonderful weekend.

And Nan - I had such a good time that night! The rest of the weekend was good too, but the weather was not. I'm posting videos and summaries of each event I attended throughout the weekend. Man, am I exhausted!

I was excited to hear Kathy say that she's reading the Kristin L. book. I've always heard good things and it IS on my TBR list. I'll have to bump it up and finally see what all the fuss is about.

Hope all is well with you on the farm!

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun time! Thanks for sharing your video ~ I feel like I was there, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin