Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blogging for a Cause

Most of us have blogs just for fun, for our own enjoyment ... but what if we could occasionally take something that's fun and make a difference with it?

That's just what Natasha over at Maw Books is doing this month. Her project began on Sept. 1 (I'm behind on letting you know about this because life has been crazy, sorry). You can help her raise awareness about the genocide in Darfur by linking up to her blog, and help her raise money in numerous ways as well.

Here's a link to the introductory post. If you sign up to help in any way, please let me know. Here's a link to more info, in case you need it.

On a personal note, I recently read Elie Wiesel's Night for the first time. At the end I was struck by the similarities between then and now. Then, the world ignored the plight of the Jewish people; now, the world ignores the plight of the Sudanese people. Like Natasha, I wanted to do something; unlike Natasha, I did nothing. I'm very ashamed of that fact. I hope by supporting her efforts this month that I'll in some way make up for my poor decision.

Natasha posted a variety of videos about Darfur. I hope you take a minute to watch this one; it is brief but it gives the best overview of the situation that I've yet heard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you liked this video, Heather, you may want to watch the full documentary called The Devil Came on Horseback. It is really well done! Brian also wrote his memoir of the same name. I just read it this week and hope to have reviews up of both shortly. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a fantastic idea and I will definitely be checking out the introductory post. Thanks for posting about this. I need to bump Darfur Now up on my netflix queue.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to read *Night*, but it's on my proverbial to-be-read list :)

re: Maw Books ... yes, it's important that we stand up for and support the causes we believe in. Kudos to Natasha for moving forward with this.

Lisa said...

I finally had a chance to watch this video. I didn't want to do it while my 3 year old was around, because I wasn't sure what I'd be seeing. Thanks for posting it. What Natasha is doing is so great, and I wish more people could get in on it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin