Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Friday Finds 09/05/08

(Um, yeah, I've been a bit confused all week. I thought yesterday was Tuesday, and this morning I somehow convinced myself that today is Friday. So, rather than deleting this post, I'm just going to leave it up here and post my regularly scheduled Thursday post tomorrow. Feel free to ignore me today - I think I'm beyond help this week.)
This has been a busy week for my TBR list. It seems like every time turn around, I've got a new book to add. Can you people please stop reading such good stuff?! You're killing me here!

Here's what I've added to my list since last Friday:
  1. The Plague, by Albert Camus - I already read Year of Wonders about the Bubonic Plague, so why not continue with that theme?
  2. Escape, by Carolyn Jessop - this true story of a polygamist's wife is one of the best books Natasha has read all year - which a recommendation like that, I've got to read this one ... she also recommended Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife, by Irene Spencer - I doubt I'll read both books, but I will pick one to read
  3. We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevtich - I can't usually read 1st person accounts of horrors like those in Rwanda, but according to one reviewer, this reads more like a history book than a novel - that's perfect for me as I need that emotional distance in order to read a book like this
  4. Yellowknife by Steve Zipp - check out the website to for more info
  5. The Lost Diary of Don Juan - aah, the world's greatest lover ... who could ask for more? How 'bout the "truth" behind the legend?! [Update: I added this to my list on Tuesday, then on Wednesday was offered a review copy - yeah!]
  6. The Wedding, by Dorothy West - this famous writer of the Harlem Renaissance published her 2nd novel in 1995 and it sounds fascinating
  7. Magyk by Angie Sage - this first book in a YA Fantasy series promises lots of adventure and excitement
  8. The Blue Death: Disease, Disaster, and the Water We Drink, by Dr. Robert. D. Morris - a look at the safety of our drinking water and the history of cholera, among other things (I read a historical fiction novel on this topic that I HIGHLY recommend called An Imperfect Lens by Anne Roife - it's a GREAT mix of true history, science, and wonderful storytelling!)
  9. Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped, by Tony Perrottet - just go read the summary (click on the title) and you will totally understand why I want to read this - it sounds so funny!
And here's what I came up with for kiddo:
  1. Who Discovered America?, by Valerie Wyatt - a look at all the various people who came to America before Columbus
  2. The Willoughbys, by Lois Lowry - I've heard great things about this book, but can anyone tell him if it's appropriate for kiddo? I know the plot ... would you say it's "scary creepy" in any way, or just "fun creepy"? I really think kiddo would like this but I need some input from all of you.
The host of Friday Finds, Miz B at Should Be Reading, just got a new job - yeah! Because of that, she said she may be behind posting the main link for Friday Finds (and her other weekly events). So please be patient and keep clicking back to her main page until you see her Friday Finds post. Then you can hop along to other blogs and see what they've discovered this week too!

UPDATE: One more thing! I'm a finalist for an award for Book Blogger Appreciation Week in the category of Most Chatty - cool! Please click here for the complete list of finalists, then check back here later today to vote. ANYONE can vote so please drop by and support me - and the other blogs too of course. :)

11 comments:

Anna said...

I'm jealous!! I'd love to read "The Lost Diary of Don Juan!" Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it!

--Diary of an Eccentric

Ti said...

Hey, at least you have the time to post your TBR list additions. I'm off tomorrow too so today IS my Friday. My days are off too!

Anonymous said...

I've read both Escape and Shattered Dreams , and while the first is more pertinent to current events because of who her husband was, the second has much better writing and is more compelling. If you're only going to read one, I'd recommend Shattered Dreams because Escape was clunky, the story jumped around, and I had a hard time staying interested in it, even though I find this topic very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I've read both Escape and Shattered Dreams , and while the first is more pertinent to current events because of who her husband was, the second has much better writing and is more compelling. If you're only going to read one, I'd recommend Shattered Dreams because Escape was clunky, the story jumped around, and I had a hard time staying interested in it, even though I find this topic very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Don Juan right now. It's pretty intriguing.

As for The Willoughbys I wouldn't hesitate to read it to your child. There's nothing scary at all in it. While some of the references to other literature might be lost on young children, this is definitely something you and your child will enjoy! (You can read my review here.

Amanda said...

Hahaha your week sounds like my week. Love the Friday Finds thingy!

Anonymous said...

The kids at the library where I work love the Septimus Heap books. MAGYK is the first one. Hope you enjoy it!!

Anonymous said...

Camus is a great writer. I have most of his books. That too long time ago. Maybe I need to re-read. Thanks for bringing back memories.

My find!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Willoughbys is FUN creepy - go for it!

Marie Cloutier said...

sounds like some great picks. The Wedding appeals to me a lot. thanks for a great list!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I was going to say read Escape if you only read one. But Shattered Dreams is way up there next to it. Once you read one, you know you'll have to read the other.

And The Willoughby's is totally fine for kids!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin