Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Finds 09/19/08


I did a LOT of blog reading this week, what with BBAW and all ... needless to say, my TBR list has grown quite a bit because of that.

I usually post links to each book from Amazon.com but if I try to do that today then this post will NEVER go up. I'm sure you can look up these books yourself if you are interested, right?!

  1. The Alchemyst (#1 in The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel series) by Michael Scott- this is a YA book that looks like fun! I plan to read it first, then possibly read it with kiddo. I think he'll enjoy seeing a non-Harry-Potter take on Nicholas Flamel.

  2. City of Thieves by David Benioff - came to my attention through DearReader.com - it's set during the seige of Leningrad in WWII (just like The Madonnas of Leningrad - very different story though)

  3. A Pocketful of History by Jim Knowles - ever wonder about those new US quarters featuring the states? This book tells the story behind the images on each quarter!

  4. There's an Egg in My Soup ... And Other Adventures of an Irishman in Poland by Tom Galvin - this review caught my attention, plus I love all things Irish AND I just read a book set in Poland (The Pages In Between)

  5. Stalin's Children: Three Generations of Love, War, and Survival by Owen Matthews - this was on someone's Friday Finds last week - as a fan of Russian/Soviet history, I think this one sound fascinating

  6. After the War by Carol Matas - Stephanie posted a comment on my review of The Pages In Between saying that she thought I'd also enjoy this book - I love when my readers give me suggestions based on what I've just read!

And lest you think I'm neglecting kiddo's TRB list, here's what I found for him this week ...
  1. The Boy Who Was Raised By Librarians by Carla Morris - how much fun does THAT sound?! I just love this review.

  2. Peter and the Starcatchers (# 1 in the Starcatchers series) by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson; narrated by Jim Dale - this is the backstory of Peter Pan, and it sounds like a great adventure - plus it's on audiobook now, and kiddo and I love us some audiobooks!

Whew! I'm glad I got that finished. Now I just have two more posts I've promised to get up today. Once they are done I'll be withouth internet until Monday evening (AAAAHHH!) but I'll be at the beach so hopefully that will make up for it. Have a great weekend all!


PS. This isn't exactly a Friday Find but it's fun anyway ... Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day! I heard of this last year and it just makes me laugh (in a good way). Learn more about it here, and read some funny posts about it here (that one's about books) and here (that one is quite short).

UPDATE: I just came across this cool offer from sci-fi publisher tor.com. It's only valid for today though, so be sure to head over there asap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankjly, I don't like to read Coelho. Not after The Alchemist.

A few of your finds seem very good. I am going to check those.

My finds

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Gautami - I think you're thinking of another book here ... The Amchemyst I mentioned is NOT Coelho's book, it is a young adult adventure novel.

FYI, I wasn't a big fan of Coelho's Alchemist either.

Florinda said...

I find quite a few interesting books via DearReader.com - a five-day free preview is very nice.

I'm terrible at talking like a pirate.

Enjoy your beach weekend!

Robin M said...

The Alchemyst looks really interesting. I find YA books very entertaining. Thomas Wayne Batson who wrote The Door Within Trilogy is another good one.

Robin of mytwoblessings

Anonymous said...

I have 'Stalin's Children' in my TBR pile. I just need to get around to reading it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin